The Green Room is thrilled to introduce you to our newest bloggers who are joining us this spring. Today is the final installment, but if you’re just tuning in, you can get to know all of our current bloggers by checking out the Meet the Bloggers archive.
Name: Jessica Humphrey
What do you do outside of blogging? Outside of blogging, I am pursuing my Masters in Musical Theatre at San Diego State University. When I am not in class, studying or in rehearsal, I study wine and practice Bikram yoga. I also work as an assistant in the school’s Musical Theatre Archive, a vocal coach and a babysitter. In addition, this next summer “break” I will be performing as Anybodys in West Side Story, learning to play the ukelele and focusing my attention on a pet project about rap in musical theatre.
Favorite musical: My favorite musical of the week (since I really can’t have an all-time favorite) is The Light in the Piazza. I am currently working on a project about Adam Guettel and am constantly being reminded of how intricate his work is and how much it deeply affects me. This show, in particular, was a favorite of mine when I was fifteen years old and is one of the reasons I started to pursue a career and education in musical theatre. The amazing performances, the rich music, and the touching story were devoured by a small girl in Dallas, Texas who listened to it over and over in her bedroom wondering how she could get to be in such a wonderful production. The Light in the Piazza has always reminded me that I belong in the musical theatre community, besides just appreciating its overall brilliance.
What are you interested in blogging about this spring? I am very interested in exploring topics such as:
- Finding your type/auditions
- College auditions for Bachelor’s and Masters programs
- Influence of rap in musical theatre
- Specific Golden Age composers and their contemporary counterparts
- Underrated musicals and songs
What are your non-theater interests? I love to study wine! I am hoping to someday pursue a sommelier certification, but for now, I love visiting wineries and learning the basics. I also love to be active. My favorite ways to sweat include Bikram yoga, stand up paddle boarding, swimming, and, of course, dancing! I come from a heavy ballet background, so I try to take it as often as possible. I also love to travel! All it takes is a destination, an audiobook and my car to make me very happy!
Favorite contemporary MT song: Such a hard question! Some of my favorite NMT composers are Brad Ross, Pasek and Paul, and Bobby Cronin, but right now I am obsessed with Drew Gasparini. I specifically remember having “Dear Lucy/Dear Tom” on repeat for probably a month back in late 2012. I’m not sure why certain songs attract certain people, but I could not get enough of this piece! I think his music, especially this song, captures a character’s innermost thoughts and shares them in a completely relatable way. His pieces are complex without being complicated, and simple without being easy- a fun combination for a singer and an actor!
- 4 Rules for Picking Your College Group’s Next Show
- On the Fringe: An Artist’s Guide to Preparing for Fringe Festivals
- When Friendship is More Important Than Being #Famous: An Expose-heyyy on Playbill.com’s Michael Gioia
- How Do You Solve a Problem Like Really Expensive Theatre Tickets?
- The Ultimate 10-Minute Vocal Warm Up for Dancers
- Actor Audition Etiquette: 3 Mistakes to Avoid
- How Not to Hate Your Survival Job
- Don’t Cry for Me Argentina: How 4th Wall Theatre Never Left Me
- The B**** of Seventeen: Spring Awakening, Heathers, and the Role of the Teenager in Modern Musical Theatre
- The YouTube Effect: How Digital Access to Musical Theatre is Changing the Industry