Winter is coming, and with it comes a new team of bloggers for The Green Room! We're so excited to welcome them to the blog and to introduce them to you all this week. Get to know two new bloggers today, and click here to read previous installments of the Meet the Bloggers series, too.
Name: Tomas Ruiz
What do you do outside of blogging? I am an acting/improv/musical theater teacher out of a "boutique" performing arts studio based in Cresskill, NJ.
Favorite musical: So unfair. #lyricist
Into the Woods: "All the wolves, all the lies, the false hopes, the goodbyes…"
In The Heights: "I am the one who made it out. The one who always made the grade, well, maybe I should have just stayed home…"
Fun Home: "Until now gives way to then…"
See What I Wanna See: "You can never rush a miracle, you can't force a thing to be…"
Seussical: "A person's a person, no matter how small."
What are you interested in blogging about this winter? What it means to be a working actor in the new musical theater scene. Part Seventeen Magazine, light fashion tips, and also personal discoveries about myself since I go through growing pains, too.
What are your non-theater interests? I like to eat Cookie Crisps with Vanilla Soy Milk. Walks on the occasion. Comedy. Television. Movies. Mythology. Huge geek in general, don't even get me started on me living my life as a "theatre nerd."
Favorite contemporary MT song:
- "Map of Scars" by RSO.
- "Anyway" by Kerrigan & Lowdermilk.
- "Funny" by Alexander Sage Oyen.
- "Show U How Love Feels" by Joey Contreras.
- "Simply Because" by Rosser & Sohne.
- "Crush" by Lyons & Pakchar.
- "Do You?" by Katie Thompson.
All of these songs have given me so many feels. I can't even.
- 4 Rules for Picking Your College Group’s Next Show
- On the Fringe: An Artist’s Guide to Preparing for Fringe Festivals
- When Friendship is More Important Than Being #Famous: An Expose-heyyy on Playbill.com’s Michael Gioia
- How Do You Solve a Problem Like Really Expensive Theatre Tickets?
- The Ultimate 10-Minute Vocal Warm Up for Dancers
- Actor Audition Etiquette: 3 Mistakes to Avoid
- How Not to Hate Your Survival Job
- Don’t Cry for Me Argentina: How 4th Wall Theatre Never Left Me
- The B**** of Seventeen: Spring Awakening, Heathers, and the Role of the Teenager in Modern Musical Theatre
- The YouTube Effect: How Digital Access to Musical Theatre is Changing the Industry