#LoveWins: 10 Musical Theatre Songs that Celebrate Love
In honor of history being made with SCOTUS ruling that gay marriage is legal in all 50 states, I thought there’s no better way to end my posts on The Green Room than to make a list of all my favorite musical theatre songs celebrating love. Whether you’ve been married for years, mourning a loss, getting over a breakup, experiencing unrequited love, or falling in love, there’s a song on this list for everyone.
1. “It All Fades Away” by Jason Robert Brown from The Bridges of Madison County
It’s really hard not to fall in love with Steven Pasquale as he sings this gorgeous ballad. To make this listening experience even better, just imagine that he is specifically serenading you.
2. “Someone to Fall Back On” by Jason Robert Brown from Wearing Someone Else’s Clothes
I’d have to say JRB pretty much dominates my list because he knows the way to my heart musically. I love this performance by Ryan McCartan; I could watch it for hours.
3. “Even Though” by Joshua Salzman and Ryan Cunningham from I Love You Because
This song is about loving someone for their flaws and all – and how this character doesn’t totally understand how to do so.
4. “I Loved You Too Much” by Drew Gasparini from I Could Use a Drink
This song is great to listen to amidst a breakup. It will make your heart hurt less and take your ears to musical heaven. The lyrics are beautiful.
5. “Falling Slowly” by Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová from Once
I may have been 3 years late seeing the musical Once, but I am so incredibly glad I did. That musical is a beautiful mess of heartbreak and I was blown away by every part of it.
6. “The Shape of Love” by Jacob Yandura and Rebekah Greer Melocik
These two are easily becoming one of my favorite up and coming composer/lyrist teams. You can find Jacob on the piano and Rebekah singing this beautiful tune.
7. “Run Away With Me” by Kerrigan-Lowdermilk from The Unauthorized Autobiography of Samantha Brown
This song makes the majority of lists I’ve written, but that’s only because it’s one of my all time favorites and it will always be an epic love song. Michael Arden’s voice is incredible and brings so much life to this piece.
8. “I’ll Be Here” by Adam Gwon from Ordinary Days
It’s entirely hard not to cry after watching this performance by the ever-talented Ciara Renée. It’s heartbreaking and hopeful at the same time – storytelling at its finest.
9. “Origin of Love” by Stephen Trask from Hedwig and the Angry Inch
When I first started listening to Hedwig prior to the Broadway revival, this performance by Andrew Rannells always stuck with me. He is such a talented performer and made me fall in love with this song.
10. “A Part of That” by Jason Robert Brown from The Last Five Years
This list wouldn’t be complete without a song from The Last Five Years, one of the most devastating musicals about love. I love this show more than anything and am particularly fond of this song because of its honesty.
What are your favorite MT songs about love?
The post #LoveWins: 10 Musical Theatre Songs that Celebrate Love appeared first on The NewMusicalTheatre.com Green Room.